Skip to main content

One Picture, One Million Memories

 

The group of girls in their white uniforms and purple blazers, standing on the sidelines of AstroTurf greeted me with an unexpected, bittersweet punch to the gut— it was a photograph from my school days. It opened a flood gate of memories that drowned me in nostalgia; it has had me longing for the good old days ever since I saw it.

             

I vividly remember everything that happened on the day this photograph was taken. To begin with, it was taken at the LC (Ladies’ College) BC (Bishop’s College) Hockey Encounter. Now, this might sound like a regular event to you, but make no mistake! Think of it like SLUG, big match season, Bradby or Hayman-- it is an intrinsic part of the subculture within the two schools and is one of the most anticipated events on their respective calendars. The responsibility of organizing and hosting the event is generally alternated between the two schools. 

On this particular year, that responsibility fell on Bishop’s College. This meant that the school prefects would have to engage in an arduous day of duty in the hot sun and as a member of the guild myself, I was prepared for it. However, what caught me completely off-guard was the nature of the specific duty that I was assigned to carry out on the day. The thought of having to serve refreshments to VIP’s terrified me out of my wits, not only because I had already broken my mother’s fine china and couldn’t make tea to save my life, but also because the smallest mess up on my part would compromise the reputation of the guild and the entire school- no pressure at all.

Fortunately, time was on my side as the duty roster was posted a few days before the event, so I decided to make the most of it by practising at home. My mother was not pleased, to say the least, but allowed me to practice anyway because she preferred her fine china being broken over that of the school’s! I got the hang of serving eventually, but the Bishopian art of making the perfect cuppa still eluded me. School had provided me with a very specific set of instructions: I was required to pour in 1/3 cups of milk, then fill the rest of the cup with plain tea and finally add 2-3 spoons of sugar, but the problem was that I was not able to make it past the first step because my untrained eye couldn’t quite gauge the measurement of the milk. So, it was decided that I would be among those who would carry the plates, cups, saucers and all the tableware back and forth to do the actual serving while another group would carry out the preparations.


The 4th of October, 2014 finally arrived with all its usual cheer and sparkle, and I was ready for it! It was an extremely warm day, on account of which it was ultimately decided that we wouldn’t serve any hot beverages to the VIPs. This eased us to a great extent; the prospect of pouring cool, readymade juice into glasses was a lot easier than making numerous cups of tea. We began serving refreshments at half-time and everything was proceeding swimmingly, much to everyone’s relief.  It was then that it happened: I had just finished serving a round of beverages and was on my way to bring the next one when a VVIP (notice the extra V- it’s not a typo) requested a hot coffee due to an existing sore throat.  I politely acceded and told her that I would return momentarily. I maintained my outward composure as I walked to the rest of the group, but my insides were in utter turmoil because WE WEREN’T SERVING COFFEE, TO BEGIN WITH!! Now, you might be wondering why I couldn’t simply have informed this VVIP that we didn’t have any coffee to offer her, but trust me when I tell you that it wasn’t that simple- please take my word for it! Panic spread like wildfire throughout the ranks of the guild as denying this VVIP of her request was out of the question.

The only solution? Serve her coffee; there was no other way around it. If you’ve been to AstroTurf or know where it is located, then you’d also know that there is a McDonald’s situated right behind the field. The only thing is that you have to cross the racecourse stadium- which I might add has the capacity to hold no less than 10,000 people, I checked- to get to it. All the training that I had received as an athlete, I felt, had led to this very moment in time where I would metaphorically cross the Red Sea to buy a coffee. So, I took off my blazer, draped it over my arm and ran across that ground like my life depended on it. Upon reaching the other side, to my absolute horror, I discovered that McDonald’s was packed to the rafters because it was a Saturday; the queues were endless!! Enduring one of these queues wasn’t an option under the circumstances because it would have taken me at least 20 minutes to get to the front. However, the graciousness of a few Bishopians saved me. They allowed me to take their place near the front of the line so that I could be on my way as soon as possible. After purchasing the coffee, all I really wanted to do was sit and drink it because I was exhausted, but instead, I took a deep breath and set off on the second leg of my very own Amazing Race- this time in a brisk walk because running with a piping hot beverage would end in disaster.

I was greeted by the group of panicking prefects that were anticipating my arrival. They asked me to get my sweating, panting self together while they poured the coffee into a suitable cup for me to serve the VVIP. That’s when we ran into another problem: we didn’t have any teacups and saucers because of our decision to refrain from serving hot beverages. Hence, we had no choice but to serve the coffee in a glass. I desperately hoped that I would get hit by the hockey ball and go unconscious as I walked towards the VIP tent with that glass of coffee—I felt it would be less painful than what I was about to do. Thus, under the circumstances, you can only imagine my immense relief when the glass was unquestioningly accepted with a simple thank you! The rest of the day sailed by smoothly with Bishop’s College securing a victory in the U-19 category and the encounter ending in an overall draw. 

I was so glad that nothing had come of it and was ready to put the entire incident behind me, but then, something unexpected happened the following week. I went to the school receptionist to collect something that I had left there when she handed over an envelope addressed to me from the VVIP. Puzzled, I accepted the envelope and left to open it elsewhere. As it turned out, she had learnt of the events that transpired as a result of her request; inside, was a slip of paper with ‘thank you’ written on it along with the exact amount of money that I had spent to purchase the coffee from McDonald’s.

 Talk about a bittersweet punch to the gut.

 

Therushie Botejue

 

 

 


Comments

  1. This sounds like a chapter from ''A Diary of A Wimpy Kid'' and I loved every second of it, no offence! Initially I assumed you meant you only had to serve the tea but you had to MAKE IT too?! That's a whole lot of work!! In fact, your post gave me a flashback to the LBM (Ladies College, Bishops College, Methodist College) swimming meets that I used to attend. Of course no such drama took place because we swimmers have a Nescafe and Milo machine ready to serve us, but at my last meet, once all the VIP's left, one of my friends pushed one of our girls into the pool, uniform and all (quite common for some reason amongst swimmers) to celebrate the end of our vip presence at the meets, and somehow the teacher in charge of my school walked in. Let's just say she was not very happy.
    I really enjoyed this post Theru and what a neat neat ending!!

    -Nipuni

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really funny. I love the way you have recalled your bittersweet memory in a way that it rouses the curiosity of the reader and the descriptive and suspenseful writing style adds such a nice dramatic effect to the story. I was waiting for you to spill the coffee 🤣 and break the glass but you somehow passed your mission. And this story brings back so many sweet memories from my school days too. I remember once we had to make refreshment for the athletics during a sports meet and we literally screwed up the whole thing adding too much salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And also, this reminds me of our food rescue mission during a KELF event amidst a sudden downpour and a storm. Things didn't go as planned that day remember?

      Delete
    2. Gosh yes! That food-rescue mission!!

      Delete
  3. School days were the best! I still remember the fun we had organizing all of those school events and how we learnt a great deal of 'life lessons' from them. I really love the ending of the story and oh I'm honestly so curious to know who this 'cool' VVIP was! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what an experience! The way you have written it just made me visualize all that panic and stress you must've felt and I love the humor you brought into the story. And what a nice surprise it must've been to receive that note and the money!
    - Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theru, this took me down mine own lane of abundant memories of Prefects' duties. I would say that there was no refreshment duty worse than serving tons of VVIPs and VIPs at the school sports-meet and then having to go march in the afternoon hot sun, followed by a long award ceremony :P
    Arduous indeed but I dearly miss those days too...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Colonial Food Culture in Sri Lanka: A Brief Introduction

Pre colonial food culture in Sri Lanka was a harmonious blend of culinary and medicinal practices that were tied to human wellbeing. The production and the consumption of food were tied to class, cast, religion and rituals. Caste distinction in pre-colonial Sri Lanka was established based on how our ancestors contributed to the production of  food. Further, pre colonial Sri Lankan food culture was rich and had a strong connection with nature. Going back to the pre-colonial era of the country, the diet of its people mainly consisted of, grains, cereal, vegetables, roots, seeds, freshwater fish and bush meat. Rice was the largely consumed, staple food in ancient Sri Lanka. Ancient Sri Lanka had an agrarian economy which shaped its cultural values, rituals and customs. Rice cultivation dates far back to the period of King Pandukabhaya who is believed to have built the first wewa , a large water reservoir used to irrigate paddy fields. However, it was during the reign of King Parakkranabah

The Queen who Challenged the Symbolic Order of Ancient Egypt

Limestone statue of Hatshepsut as Pharaoh The Nile flows even today through the plains of Africa as she did thousands of years ago through the valley of the kings where a great woman once challenged the patrilineal throne. She is known as the first great woman in history of whom we are informed, a great Pharaoh who ruled Egypt during a time of great prosperity whose legacy could not be erased despite the attempts taken by one of her successors to eradicate her from history. Hatshepsut, meaning "the foremost of the noble women", was born into the 18th  Dynasty of ancient Egypt’s new kingdom. She was the daughter of the great Thutmose the first and his primary wife Ahmose. Being of legitimate birth, had she not been a woman, she would have been next in line to the throne. However, after her father's death, young Hatshepsut was married to Thutmose the second, her half brother, in order to legitimate the throne and preserve the purity of the royal blood line. Thutmose the s

Existentialism with a comedic twist: A Millennial sensation?

  The 21 st century is filled with a bunch of exhausted individuals. As college students, it’s a never ending battle for us. Our worries range from constantly being concerned about our grades and trying extremely hard to keep up with all the deadlines; to making sure we eat at least three healthy meals per day; and not to forget thinking and worrying about all the unforeseen horrors which might follow after we actually graduate and step out into the cold, unforgiving world. All these ambitions and expectations has left us a swirling mess of emotions and worries, leading most of us into an existential crisis on a daily basis. Hence, it’s safe to say that nihilism and absurdism are some concepts we millennials are a little too familiar with. These concepts come under the umbrella term of existentialism. Nihilism  is the belief that life has no inherent meaning. While absurdism is defined as a conflict between the individual and the universe where the individual attempts to find meaning